Convenient and roomy backpacks and satchels are gradually replacing the traditional school bag and briefcase. Now, elementary school students can put everything in their backpacks – books, workbooks, pens, change of shoes, gym clothes, etc. High school students also prefer to use a backpack, and not only for school. Teenagers rarely part with it. A backpack is with them both on walks, and during tourist trips.
How to wash a school backpack
If you want the school backpack to remain a reliable assistant, and for it to preserve its initial neat appearance, you need to know how to properly keep it clean.
All children, both primary school children, and teens prefer to have a backpack that has a stylish ergonomic design, bright colors, cool print, material with an unusual texture, and original fittings. Of course, such beauty requires special care.
Information on the label
Not everyone can understand the properties of the material, its wear resistance, and resistance to aggressive detergents. Therefore, do not ignore the brief tip on the label on how to clean and wash the school backpack.
What a backpack is made of
Should you clean and wash the item in the machine, or hand wash only? it depends on the material from which it is made. Special care is required for a briefcase or backpack made of leather with impressive fittings, spikes, and zippers. An alternative to leather products is fabric satchels made of practical wear-resistant materials – cotton, tarpaulin, polyester, etc. To make them UV- resistant and increase their moisture resistance, these materials are treated with special solutions. This fabric backpack can be easily cleaned and machine washed.
If the backpack is excessively dirty, it would need some extra cleaning. In this case, apply stain remover and rub it with a toothbrush. In 20 minutes, wash the backpack.
If there is no stain remover at home, it can be replaced by liquid dish soap and water. Do not use bleach with chlorine since it can destroy the structure of the fabric.
If the backpack is not very dirty, you can clean it without any additional treatment and refresh the material and its color.
You can easily remove all contaminants in the washing machine if you follow the recommendations:
- Check that nothing is left inside. If there is a removable frame, remove it along with all other detachable elements. This is a necessary step if you want to prevent any accidental damage to your washing machine’s drum.
- Check the strength of the fabric dye, by wiping it with a damp cloth. If any dye is left on the wipe, hand wash the backpack.
- Be sure to put the briefcase in a laundry bag or pillowcase for greater safety of it and the drum.
- Do not use too much detergent. In most cases, the fabric of the backpack is porous, so it is more difficult to rinse, and it can stain. It is recommended to wash with gel detergent and add conditioner for colored fabrics.
- Set the delicate mode without spinning. Most often than not, a school backpack has a lining made of a material that does not withstand high water temperature.
- Wash your backpack with the pockets unzipped.
It is not recommended to wash a backpack with an orthopedic back, a wire frame, or a sealed bottom in a washing machine. It is difficult to fit it into the drum without damage due to its size, and the result will likely not be very pleasing.
The fabrics used to make backpacks can be tricky to clean. Mechanical impact on them in the washing machine can lead to the seams’ stretching. The chemical components of detergents can quickly destroy the membrane fabric, change the composition of the material’s special treatment.
Therefore, it is better to wash the school bag, satchel and backpack at home by hand:
- Remove all detachable elements and clean them separately.
- Fill a deep bath or basin with water, and add some shavings of ordinary laundry soap.
- To maintain the shape of the bag, you can put rolled foam inside it, which will make washing easier.
- Place the backpack into the solution and immediately wash it using a sponge, or a brush with a soft short pile.
Make sure not to take longer than 15-20 minutes. Drain and rinse thoroughly in cool water.
The best way to dry
Do not use a tumble dryer; it is better if the backpack dries naturally. If the weather is nice, you can hang it on the line on the balcony, and if it’s raining and the winter hang it inside. Keep all the pockets open while the backpack is drying. If you don’t allow the schoolbag to dry well, it will develop an unpleasant smell. Over time, mold may appear in its wet areas.
Preventing a school backpack from getting dirty for a long time
Frequent machine washings lead not only to the loss of the beautiful appearance of the material but also to the rapid wear of the school bag. To prevent this from happening, you need to wash it less often, so try to keep it clean longer:
- Do not put the backpack on the floor where it will quickly dust. A dirty bottom can also stain clothes.
- Do not put dirty things inside. Put them in a separate package first.
- Do not collect garbage in your pockets, immediately throw it in the bin.
- If the material is dirty, immediately clean it with a simple damp cloth.
When it’s time to buy a new school backpack, pay attention not only to the visual appeal, but also to the quality. A correctly chosen bag will bring a lot of pleasure to its owner, which will make them want to keep it clean.