2 years ago, a bad haircut made me realize how much I love my hair. The hairdresser didn’t quite understand what I had wanted and cut my hair into really short layers. Layers are the most difficult to grow out of. I was devastated. Lost. Angry. Helpless. (Girls who had a similar bad haircut experience may understand.)
So I started on a journey of hair growth 2 years ago. A very slow, frustrating journey. My hair was short, dry, and damaged. It was horrible. Now, my hair reaches my waist. It is medium thick and damage-free.
Tips that helped know how to grow hair faster
- Multi-vitamins. I’m sorry for bringing this up in every beauty post. But, beauty first comes from the inside. Trust me, I have noticed so much difference in my hair after I started taking my vitamins. When hair doesn’t get their essential nutrients from your body they start to fall out and become unhealthy. Fish-oil supplements are very very good for the hair. Biotin is also a good multi-vitamin for hair. You will notice that your hair is more healthy and glowing when you start taking vitamins.
- No hair-cuts. Now, this is obvious. If you want to grow your hair, you cannot cut it. You cannot give into haircut cravings. Only trim half an inch of your hair every six weeks.
- Oils. You don’t need all those treatments sold in the market. They are filled with unnecessary chemicals, that won’t do you much good. Olive oil, Coconut oil, Castor oil, Almond oil are the best for your hair. These are the oils that will actually benefit your hair. These oils will nourish and repair damaged hair. Oil your hair at least two times a week. Apply the oil and leave it for as long as possible. Apply in the night, cover with a shower cap, and then wash the next morning. Or if your home leaves it on for 2 days. This is food for your hair. Your hair will grow and nourish with these oils.
- No HEAT. When I was growing out of my hair I rarely used heat. No blow-drying, no straightening or curling. Heat is very damaging to your hair. If you use heat every day, STOP.
- Shampoos and other products. Choose your hair products wisely. Use damage repairing shampoo. I love Loreal’s shampoos for damaged hair. I find Pantene and Head and Shoulders to be very strong. I feel like they have a lot of chemicals in them. They just strip the hair of all-natural oils. Use a mild shampoo and conditioner. Don’t shampoo your hair every day. The natural oil that comes in your hair after some days of shampooing is actually really good for your hair. Less shampooing is great.
- Everyday hairstyles. Don’t let your hair ends rub on your clothes or pillows. Tie them up as the friction may cause split ends and damage them. Wear buns or plaits. There are a million hairstyles you could use every day.
- Combs. Use a wide-toothed comb for your hair. This will highly reduce breakage. The tangles are easy to comb out with this kind of comb.
- No hair color. Hair color is plain damage to your hair.
- Home-made hair masks. Replenish your hair with the good natural stuff.
- Be patient. Yes! My hair took 2 years to grow out to my waist length. So, if you are just starting to grow out, just be patient. Be constant with all these tips (mainly the oils and vitamins) and they will definitely help grow your hair faster.
I have never claimed to be a professional, I’m just a girl with a lot of interest in beauty.