Items made of steel blue mink are not cheap, and caring for them is fairly complicated. Then why do they attract girls and women so much? The answer is simple: usually, this fur is used to make elegant clothing, that looks just amazing, and every woman can choose a suitable fur coat for herself and feel like a million dollars in it! Also, with proper care, a fur coat can serve you more than one season. In this article, you will learn a few methods of cleaning steel blue mink without damaging or ruining it.
Surely, every housewife has a bottle of this useful product in the medicine box, and if not, it can be easily bought at the pharmacy. For this method, you will need ammonium hydroxide or rubbing alcohol, and water. Here is what you do:
- Take these ingredients and mix them in a ratio of 1 tablespoon of the alcohol ingredient per 2 tablespoons of water (if the affected area is small).
- After that, soak a cotton pad in the resulting mixture, squeeze it.
- Gently wipe the stain.
- Take a dry, clean towel and use it to blot all areas that you have cleaned.
- Finally, fluff up the fur and leave it to dry completely.
- Repeat the steps above if necessary.
Rubbing alcohol works very well for removing not only yellowing but also lipstick and foundation stains, often enough encountered by almost every girl. It is very important to follow the specified instructions carefully, otherwise, the structure of the fur may be damaged and not restored.
Useful tip: if your mink item has a long pile, then it should be rubbed in the direction of piles, and if the mink is sheared, rub against piles.
Using potato starch
Almost every woman who owns an amazing blue fur coat has faced the problem of yellowing. The fur yellows from regular wear and many people solve this problem by hanging the item as far back in the closet as possible, with the hope that the stain will disappear on its own, or they simply throw away the coat. You shouldn’t rush to take such drastic measures, there is a simple method to get rid of this kind of stains at home:
- Find at home, or buy potato starch.
- Pour a small amount of it onto a yellowed stain.
- After that, gently rub the fur with your hands.
- Use a soft brush (you can also use your old toothbrush for clothes) to remove starch residue.
- Carefully shake out the fur coat. It is better to do this outside.
Just like that, using ordinary potato starch, you can save a coat from looking old and haggard in just a few minutes. Thanks to this, you can enjoy your favorite blue mink outfit for many years, and others will tirelessly compliment you.
Useful tip: before using any method, be sure to first test it on an inconspicuous part of the item and find out how your item will react to the cleaning method you choose, and then, if all is well, apply to the affected area or to the entire surface.
Using hydrogen peroxide
And once again, home medicine box to the rescue. There are many useful medicines that can be used for more than their intended purpose. Surely, your box also contains a bottle of peroxide. Use it to clean any clothing made of fur.
- You will need a 3-5% hydrogen peroxide and ammonia, those must be mixed in equal parts.
- Use a spray bottle to spray the problem area with the resulting mixture.
- After that, wipe the area with a cotton pad slightly moistened with water.
- Remove moisture with a clean, dry towel.
This way you will get rid of the yellowed spot, and will continue to enjoy your reflection in the mirror before going out every time, when you put on your elegant blue mink coat.
This is another chemical that is used in medicine, and in our case, you can use it to freshen up the color of the fur coat (get rid of old yellowed spots), and make the fur shine. To do that, follow these steps:
- First, moisten a cotton pad with glycerin.
- Then use it to wipe the entire mink surface from top to bottom.
This way you can refresh the bright color of your favorite fur coat, and every season it will delight you with its neat appearance, and everyone around you will think that this is a new outfit and pay you compliments.
Useful tip: this kind of cleaning should be done no more than twice a season to maintain a good appearance of the item of clothing.
If you are not a fan of semolina, and you don’t have this cereal at home, contact your friend or neighbor or buy it in bulk, because you need just a little bit of it. Use this method to remove unwanted spots from mink fur. Here’s what to do:
- First, you need to cook the cereal: use 2 cups of milk and 2 tablespoons of cereal.
- Cool the resulting mixture and apply to the required areas of the item.
- Leave it like that until morning.
- Then use a soft brush to clean the mink surface.
- Comb out the cereal and shake the fur coat.
Before throwing out damaged clothing, especially one as expensive as this, or putting it away into the closet,, first try to clean it and freshen it up using the methods described above. After all, they are very simple and easily accessible, they can be used both at home and at work, and the result will be no worse than after dry cleaning. After doing this, you will put on your favorite fur coat, vest or any other blue mink item with the same feelings and emotions as you had the first time, and that is worth several hours of your time.